With my husband out of town last weekend, I was able to start two new quilt projects. It is my turn to send out fabric for the Blockheadz bee group, and I am requesting a basic star block using Cluck Cluck Sew's excellent tutorial. I cut the fabric for 16 different star centers with coordinating points and am using Robert Kaufman Essex Linen in natural for the background. After piecing two blocks myself to double check that I cut enough fabric before sending it off and to make sure I was happy with the design, I have decided to add borders to each block once they are returned to me using the same fabrics as the stars. I even managed to get a head start and cut all of the border strips, which should make the quilt top assembly pretty quick when the blocks are sent back in September.
The fantastic Japanese fabric in this block is a fun stripe which I found at Super Buzzy - they have so many pig fabrics...my weakness!
My second start this week is on these little sewing goats. I fussy cut twenty 5 inch squares of the various scenes on these fabrics in green, blue and beige. I also have this print in a bright pink color way, but I figured that would probably result in a slightly too girly quilt for a little boy. As you can see, the fabric is a thicker cotton/linen blend. My plan is to use the squares as the center of log cabin blocks - I'll keep you updated on the progress!
I am linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced - pop over and have a look.