This little string quilt is another project I finished in December but never found the time to photograph. As Louis was born in December, I wanted a stroller quilt to keep him warm during our walks outside. I took it with me to the hospital when he was born, and he has used it almost every day since then. It has turned out to be such a handy size. Small and easy to carry around, and just the right size to cover him up snugly.
I mostly used scraps from my pickledish pillow, so the top came together quickly. I used the excellent tutorial over atFilm in the Fridge to paper-piece the blocks and then machine-quilted straight and diagonal lines through the squares and ran lines of hand quilting through the white lines.
I used a solid piece of Paris map fabric for the backing.
In my first major burst of quilting energy since Louis, I finished up the top and backing of my Blockheadz bee quilt. As a couple of blocks were unfortunately lost in the mail and a couple never sent back, I had four blocks to finish up in order to complete the top. Also, I decided to add borders to each of the 16 blocks. I have ambitious plans to hand quilt around each of the stars and through the center square. Hopefully I will make some progress over this last week of holidays before going back to work....
There are so many different fabrics, colors and styles, but somehow I feel the blocks work together despite the business. I really love the hedgie blocks.
Louis' quilt wouldn't be complete without a few hippos... Hippos have sort of become his theme animal, as his middle name is Hippolyte.
Of course he must have a Paris block too!
Somehow pigs always seem to sneak their way into my quilts...