Massive progress on the Curious George quilt! In the end, I was able to cut 32 Georges from the single Pottery Barn pillowcase. I used 30 for the quilt top with two left over for a pair of pillows. I used red, yellow, blue and green Kona solids to make the log cabin blocks. I just randomly cut the fabric bands without measuring and strip-pieced them trimming each side as I went along. When they were all assembled, I simply squared them all up with a 12.5" ruler. Initially I regretted not making some of the first rounds of the log cabin thinner so that the outer edgers would have finished thicker, (some are very thin!) but once all of the blocks were sewn together, I found that I actually enjoy the varied width of the strips, as they break up the monotony of all the solids.
It took me a couple of hours to settle on a layout, as I wanted to avoid the the same colors touching each other and I didn't want repeat centers too close to one another. Literally a giant puzzle.
For the back I made three identical blocks, using the solids to make a four patch bordered with the other Curious George print, and I back-stitched a simple label under the center block.
All pinned and ready to quilt!
I off-set the blocks for the pillow fronts and bordered them with a white fabric dotted with tiny yellow hearts (also used on the back of the main quilt)
I am linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced - click over and take a look...