This little string quilt is another project I finished in December but never found the time to photograph. As Louis was born in December, I wanted a stroller quilt to keep him warm during our walks outside. I took it with me to the hospital when he was born, and he has used it almost every day since then. It has turned out to be such a handy size. Small and easy to carry around, and just the right size to cover him up snugly.
I mostly used scraps from my pickledish pillow, so the top came together quickly. I used the excellent tutorial over atFilm in the Fridge to paper-piece the blocks and then machine-quilted straight and diagonal lines through the squares and ran lines of hand quilting through the white lines.
I used a solid piece of Paris map fabric for the backing.
In my first major burst of quilting energy since Louis, I finished up the top and backing of my Blockheadz bee quilt. As a couple of blocks were unfortunately lost in the mail and a couple never sent back, I had four blocks to finish up in order to complete the top. Also, I decided to add borders to each of the 16 blocks. I have ambitious plans to hand quilt around each of the stars and through the center square. Hopefully I will make some progress over this last week of holidays before going back to work....
There are so many different fabrics, colors and styles, but somehow I feel the blocks work together despite the business. I really love the hedgie blocks.
Louis' quilt wouldn't be complete without a few hippos... Hippos have sort of become his theme animal, as his middle name is Hippolyte.
Of course he must have a Paris block too!
Somehow pigs always seem to sneak their way into my quilts...
I haven't posted in months and months and my unfinished stack of quilts continues to taunt me daily, but I just haven't found the time or energy to tackle it quite yet. I am determined to somehow stay awake long enough after Louis goes to bed and after we have managed to eat dinner to finish up the star quilt I started for him before he was born. I have (had) elaborate plans of hand quilting most of it, and could potentially make some progress over the holidays in August if I could assemble the blocks and back before then...
I did manage to finish this sewing goat quilt just before he was born in December but then never got around to photographing it and posting the final results. I just love the color combinations of green, orange blue and yellow. I've included several different colors of Robert Kaufman Essex linen throughout the top and the back in an effort to tone down the mix of colors and patterns a bit.
The back is a men's dress shirt fabric and an orange flowered seersucker.
I am linking up toFabric Tuesday over at Quilt Story. Pop over and take a look.